Two Juveniles have died in an inferno while two others escaped death in Mabula Village in Nkomba Ward in Mpika district in Muchinga Province,

ZANIS reports from Shiwang’andu that Muchinga Province Police Commissioner, Chola Katanga has confirmed the incident that happened when the grass thatched hut they were sleeping in caught fire.

Mr. Katanga said that the incident happened over the weekend, around 21:00 hours, after a grass thatched hut the children were sleeping in caught fire and burnt 2 of them beyond recognition.

The Police Commissioner said that facts are that on the material day, 4 children Derrick Mutale 10, Chanda Mutale 8, Nody Mutale 7 and Salome Mutale aged 3 were left by their parents alone at a field hut which is about 2km from their Village.

He added that, the 4 children left fire burning outside the hut they were sleeping in about a metre away from the grass thatched hut.

Mr. Katanga said that, the young boy narrated that he suddenly woke up around 21:00 hours and saw fire on the top of the roof and smoke within the hut, saying he tried to wake up his younger ones but they couldn’t wake up as they were already suffocated with carbon monoxide and only managed to lift his 3 year old sibling and took her outside.

He said that, Nody and Chanda were left helplessly and died therein, while he called for help from the neighbours though it was too late.

The Police Commissioner said that Derrick the eldest sustained burns on his left leg while his young sibling escaped unhurt.

Mr. Katanga alleged that the parents had gone to visit their relatives at Chilanga ZAWA Camp on Friday leaving their children by themselves.

Relatives have not suspected any foul play and Police has since advised the family to bury the deceased ones and mark their graves as the inquiry file has been opened.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *